Traveling North Carolina to South Africa with a 3 Year Old | Part 7 Knysna

Traveling North Carolina to South Africa with a 3 Year Old | Part 7 - Knysna If you'd like to read the other parts of this travel series: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6

Feb. 24, 2014

We woke up to some cloudy weather and drizzle in Knysna – which was great, we got some laundry done!


The Waterfront Lodge had an excellent breakfast where we had cereal, fresh juices, cheeses and eggs and bacon. We loaded up the car and went into town to get some books from the used bookstore. They included titles such as “Kit’s Castle”, “Smiler Gets Toothache” and “Joe Lion”. After that we had lunch on Thesen Island at a waterfront spot with great pizzas. Poppy napped, John had a run and we regrouped in the evening for a trip to Buffalo Bay, south of Knysna. This beach was awesome, it had big rocks, crashing waves, gentle pools and nice sand. We lingered for a while and came back into town for dinner at a tapas and oyster place, where they had tiny, tiny oysters (one thing we missed from home was big, cheap salty oysters).






Feb. 25, 2014

We got up and had more sunlight, so we piled in the car after breakfast and headed to the Western Head of Knysna to find out what it was all about. We couldn’t get to the Western Head on foot, so we drove down into the little seafront town next to it, Brenton-on-Sea. It had some amazing rock formations that were inhabited by some salty fishermen. We climbed rickety ladders to get onto the rocks and played in tidal pools full of urchins and sea anemones. By late morning we decided to head all the way around Knysna Lagoon to see the other side, the Eastern Head. When we got there – after some driving, Poppy had a conniption. John got some nice panoramic pictures from his phone, and I enjoyed a kid-free walk around the lookout. We found a great lunch spot, East Head Café, just below the lookout. Awesome smoothie, salad, sandwiches – and there was a shipwreck right in front of the restaurant – divers kept jumping in to check out the wreckage.



That night, after a good nap, the family went to 34 South for dinner and scurried over the the docks to jump on the “John Benn”, a 60’-ish double decker boat that motored around the Knysna Lagoon up to the edge of the heads and back. John was interested to find that, 1) the Western Head of the lagoon was off-limits because it was owned by a single family, whose ancestors had discovered the first coelocanth and left the land in a conservatorship (good) and 2) the “John Benn” was powered by two old Yamaha 150 outboards, which were being continually doused with cold buckets of water by some men from Malawi whose job was to keep the motors from catching fire (bad). The straits of Knysna are very hard to navigate so we were glad when the captain slowly turned the boat around before the vessel was dashed onto the rocks. We returned to the marina and John drank an Iron Brew to relieve his nerves.

These are the first photos Poppy has taken with my camera. We were on the boat and she told us to be silly.